The UK’s Trusted Probate Specialists

International Probate UK

If you are a Lawyer, Executor, Administrator or Beneficiary from outside the UK needing assistance to release UK assets we can help.

In the UK to release assets such as monies in a bank account or shares, the bank will require a legal document called a Grant of Representation ( more commonly known as a grant of probate ). Once issued this then enables the assets to be released.

If the Deceased has died outside the UK the procedure to obtain probate can vary significantly depending upon were the Deceased was permanently Domiciled ( living ) at the date of death.

If living in a Country recognised by the UK Colonial Act this will mean that the overseas probate can be Resealed in the UK. These countries will be former commonwealth ones such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, Hong Kong or Singapore.

If you would like help with resealing probate in the UK please contact Tim Murden

Resealing probate : frequently asked questions ?

How documents would you need for a reseal application ?

We will require the following documents :-

  • Original death certificate
  • Court sealed and certified copy of the grant of probate issued by the Court
  • Details of the assets to be collected
  • signed authority from the executor or administrator
  • Identification of the Executor

How long does it take ?

If there is no inheritance payable, then we are able to obtain a reseal from the court within 4-6 weeks.

Does an inheritance tax return have to be filed ?

Yes, an inheritance tax return must be filed in every case. The UK Inheritance tax threshold is £325,000.

Can I reseal a grant issued from Ireland, Guernsey, Isle of man or France ?

No. Unfortunately, probate cannot be resealed from the Countries listed above. We can however obtain probate for you if you need UK assets collecting.

Obtaining a Grant of Probate in the UK

If probate or it’s equivalent has been obtained in a Country not recognised under our Colonial Act then you can still apply for probate in the UK however the procedure can be quite complex.

The reason for this is that the overseas inheritance procedures must be explained fully to our Probate Court so as to ensure probate is being issued to the correct person.

The UK Probate Courts will often require an affidavit of foreign law, together with a clear understanding of both the inheritance process involved in the Country of the Deceased. Court sealed papers showing who has been appointed to deal with the estate will also be required along with a translation in English if appropriate, and an affidavit of foreign law.

Overseas probate services

We can help with all aspects of UK probate advice including :-

  • Obtaining probate in the UK enabling the release of assets
  • Advice on the validity of a overseas will in the UK
  • Inheritance tax advice – this can be very important as frequently differing tax rules apply outside the Uk
  • Advice on Deceased’s Domicile
  • Assisting Overseas lawyers in the drafting of an affidavit of foreign law

Countries we have expertise in

We frequently help foreign lawyers and clients from the following Countries:-

  • USA
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Spain
  • France
  • South Africa
  • Ireland
  • Germany
  • Canada
  • South Africa
  • Hong Kong
  • Singapore
  • Cyprus
  • Barbados

If you need help obtaining probate in the UK from Overseas we can help please contact Tim Murden on 00 44 1482 429985 or by e-mail at

Probate Advice

Call on 0330 404 2489 or complete this form

    Google Reviews

    UK Probate Coverage

    UK Probate Coverage

    We help families across the UK with all aspects of probate.