As a firm specialising in probate, we are often asked whether it is necessary to seek help from a solicitor when applying for probate. Whether to use a solicitor depends upon a number of factors, however as a guide the following points should be considered :-
- if you need probate urgently we can typically get a grant within 3-4 weeks – applying in person typically takes longer in our experience
- if there is inheritance tax it is always sensible to seek help as the solicitor myabe able to claim reliefs you are unaware of
- if there is a dispute relating to the will – a solicitor should be instructed to explain to the executor the various steps that need to be followed
- when there is a problem with the will eg. the terms are not clear, there is an issue over the meaning of the will, or issues arising out of the signature of the will
- if there is a animosity between Executors – having an impartial solicitor helps ensure that family issues do not arise
- Solicitors are insured – if errors occur then the Executor remains liable
- costs – we typically charge a fixed fee for probate – so dont believe that costs for probate are thousands when using a solicitor they aren’t!
IF you need help applying for probate call us on 01482 638 564 or e-mail tim.murden@tmsolicitors .co.uk.