We regularly get asked the question, do I need probate ? and the answer always varies depending upon the nature of the Deceased persons assets. You will definitely need probate in the following circumstances :-
- if the deceased owned a property
- you want to make a claim on behalf of the estate eg. PPI claim or medical negligence
- there are cash assets held by the deceased above £25,000
- if the deceased has shares in excess of £5,000
Over the next few weeks we intend to review all the High Street banks and Building societies and this week, we will focus on Santander’s procedures to follow if the deceased left an account with them.
Key points to note :-
Who to contact ?
Santander’s bereavement service can be called on 0800 587 5870, or you can visit any branch, or write to Santander at Bereavement Centre, PO Box 524, Bradford BD1 5ZH.
What will Santander ask for ?
You will need to show evidence of your entitlement to deal with the estate eg. copy will and the following :-
- original or certified Death Certificate
- identification eg. passport or driving license
Will you need probate ?
All high Street banks have differing probate limits so this is when confusion can arise. With Santander their limit is £25,000, if the accounts are in excess of this they will need probate and a closure form completing.
Need help with probate ?
If you need probate quickly, we offer a fast track probate service – please call tim murden on 0330 404 2488 or e-mail at email@example.com